Those using Peritron in Clinical Research projects need to know its accuracy and repeatability.
The new Peritron is accurate to better than 1 cm H20 throughout the entire range.
With the previous model Peritron, for example, if the reading was 100 then there was a 95% probability that the true pressure is 100 and a 5% probability that it is 99 or 101.
The new Peritron measures to one decimal place (i.e. the scale is different) If it was compared in accuracy (on the same scale) with the old Peritron, it would be 100% accurate. In other words, it is accurate to better than 1 cm H20 throughout the entire range.
To our knowledge Peritron is the most accurate Perineometer currently available.
In practice, the force required to deform the sensor causes a slightly reduced reading. Providing you 'zero' the reading after insertion, the Peritron reading will be about two digits lower than actual applied pressure. (This characteristic affects every Perineometer in the world.) As the sensors are precision mouldings they are all exactly the same and so every reading you take will be about two digits short of the actual pressure indicated. Most regard this discrepancy to be meaningless in a clinical situation.
In clinical trials it is important to eliminate operator-induced artifacts as far as possible. For this reason we recommend the use of collar cat 2011 that provides repeatable depth of insertion with 100% certainty.
We are pleased to provide the results of our laboratory testing on request.
Inflation Optional for Vaginal (not Anal) Sensors
Most people use the vaginal sensors without inflation. However, a port is provided in the Peritron connecting tube that allows the sensor to be air-inflated by means of a syringe to provide a larger, firmer surface.
A standard inflation pressure of, say, 100 cm provides a constant base-line for readings. The technique used is straight forward:
- Insert sensor
- Inflate to reading of 100
- Press button to zero Peritron reading
- Have patient contract .....
The anal sensor is not intended for inflation.
Single or Multi-Patient Sensors
For such a personal item, most people prefer their own sensor. The modest cost of these makes one-sensor-per-patient a viable clinical policy.
Single-user sensors require only a soap-and-water wash between uses.
Please refer to Frequent Questions for more information.